Award in General Insurance (non-UK) (W01)
This unit can only be awarded to non-UK residents. This unit prepares you for a career in this international industry. It 'sets the scene' by introducing the concept of risk and how it is managed, as well as the different categories of risk. It also explains how insurance acts as a risk transfer mechanism and introduces the main classes of insurance.
We examine the insurance market structure, its main participants and the various professional roles. It includes the main legal principles that apply to insurance with chapters on contract and agency, good faith, proximate cause, indemnity, contribution and subrogation.
We look at regulation, including the role and functions of the International Association of Insurance Supervisors (IAIS). We also outline the importance of combating financial crime and the role of the Financial Action Task Force (FATF) in developing a strategy to combat money laundering and terrorist financing. The unit then considers the issue of fraud and how insurers manage it.
Finally, we look at the role and importance of ethics in the insurance industry, including the Chartered Insurance Institute's Code of Ethics.
Summary of learning outcomes:
1. Understand the nature and main features of risk and insurance.
2. Know the structure and main features of the insurance market.
3. Understand the main legal principles governing insurance contracts.
4. Understand the main regulatory and legal principles applicable to the transaction of insurance business.
5. Know key aspects of ethics, corporate governance and internal controls.
Download the 2019/20 exam guide (PDF)
Download the 2019/20 syllabus (PDF)
Download the 2020/21 exam guide (PDF)
Download the 2020/21 syllabus (PDF)
- 2 hour exam
- 100 multiple choice questions
- 70% nominal pass mark
Recommended study hours: 50
- Award in General Insurance Enrolments are not available in the UK. Non-UK candidates can enrol online and by phoning Customer Service. You will be prompted to select your chosen international exam centre location and date or sit your exam from home with remote invigilation
- To enrol for the Award in Guernsey, Jersey, Isle of Man or the Republic of Ireland please call Customer Service on +44 (0)20 8989 8464
Printed and digital options
*** Click here for an important notice for international deliveries ***
By purchasing the ‘Printed and digital’ option, you will incur an additional charge for postage and packaging:
£7 per order: UK, Channel Isles, Isle of Man, Republic of Ireland, Malta and Gibraltar.
£15 per order: All other countries.
For more information on Digital-only options, please visit: 'Digital Only' FAQ's